Scholarships for recreation programs may be available to Wheeling Park District residents whose households meet specific criteria. Details about the program are listed below.
To apply for scholarships, pick up an Application for Recreation Programs Scholarship form at the Community Recreation Center Guest Service Desk or download here. Return the completed form and required documentation to the Guest Service Desk, along with a completed program registration form, as well as a photocopy of the participant’s birth certificate (if under age 18).
Submitting an application or qualifying for a scholarship is not a guarantee that the program request will be honored.
Applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received. Allow a minimum of seven business days to receive notification of the decision.
- Applicants must reside within the boundaries of the Wheeling Park District.
- Documented proof must be presented that one of the household's principal providers is actively serving in the military; or a complete and accurate copy of the prior year's Federal income tax return filing (with all social security numbers redacted), including all W-2s, must be submitted to verify that the household meets the poverty-level standards defined by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
An eligible participant will be limited to scholarships for:
- No more than fifteen (15) days of Summer Camp annually
- No more than two (2) seasonal recreation programs per year
Contractual programs not conducted by Park District staff, trips, cooperative programs, punch-card programs, memberships, and private lessons are ineligible for scholarships.
Eligible participants must contribute to the cost of the program by making the following co-pays:
- Seasonal Recreation Programs -- 25% per participant
- Summer Camp -- 50% per participant
- Summer Camp Swim Lessons -- 50% per participant
- Summer Extended Camp (Before/After Care) -- 50% per participant
- Preschool -- 50% per participant
- Before & After School Recreation -- 50% per participant